Skip to main content

Conflict

Theme: a conflict between two character.

Reason: one of them has a candle under her desk and it is a risk for the rest of the workers.

Sentences that could be used to address the conflict:

- I was waiting for you last evening after work...


****

First prompt: Put the characters in their environment, setting the stage for the conflict to erupt


The truth is, nobody liked her. And that evening, after work, the younger woman in charge of the desk next to hers decided she'd had enough. Stealing others' food (although nobody had real proof, just converging suspicions) was one thing. Casually dropping containers from the Indian takeaway in the paper bin, for them to sit there for days and educate everyone in the wide open-space office about the subtle modifications occurring in butter chicken sauce as the various ingredients change their molecular structure, was one thing. Coming to work without the decency of a shower, with a musky aura getting brighter and wider from Monday through Friday, was one thing. Trying to convince others to join her aromatherapy sessions, insisting essential oils could heal one's inner child and heighten one's chances at enlightenment, was one thing. It was in clear conflict with her bathing habits, but that was not the point. 

The point was three co-workers had died just two years earlier in a sudden fire that had trapped them in their cubicles as they had stayed late to complete some urgent tasks. It had taken months for the office to be renovated, and the most sensitive would swear they could still smell an underscent of seared fat and charred keratin for the first few days, under the pungent smell of paint and brand new windows and doors. No more cubicles. But still no sprinklers. So when a lit candle was found under the unpleasant lady's desk, the young woman working to her right felt like it was time to make a few points very, very clear.

***

Second prompt: The conflict is brewing. Face it without using any of the sentences in your list


- Ms… Bullclap?

- It's Bullknapp, darling. Yes? 

- I wanted to have a little chat with you if you don't mind.

- Of course darling, tell me everything! I hope I can help.

- Ms Bull..knapp, I couldn't help noticing your recent, dangerous habit.

- Oh for the love of God, what habit? I don't even drink wine, let alone ruin my lungs with smoke!

- Well, your habit may as well ruin everyone's lungs with smoke!

- I can not understand what you mean.

- Perhaps you remember Mr Sullivan?

- Of course I do! That guy always had crumbs of food in his beard. And the way he looked at Mrs Green! You could see his thoughts pass like a movie in his eyes…

- Ms Bullknapp, Mr. Sullivan died in the fire…

- Oh! You're right! What a terrible tragedy! And his children! So young, and yet so spoiled, whining all the time during the funeral, disturbing the ceremony! Shameful!

- Ms Bullcrap! Mr Sullivan died in a fire. In this very room. And with him Ms Dwindle and Mr Greyhump. You should be more respectful of the deceased, and of the living too! Your behavior could put us all at risk.

- Dwindle was a witch. I know everyone loved her around here, but that is because she was a witch! You were all charmed by her incantations, but I knew better, and kept burning my sage everytime her spells were getting too thick to dispel with simple chants.

- You… burned… sage?

- Sure, all around the room, in each cubicle. One needs to be thorough. But anyway, sweetheart, did you have something else to say? I'd really like to go now, the fridge's empty and I need to shop on the way home. So?

- You were leaving?

- Well yes, you stopped me as I was going to grab my coat.

- Are you sure you weren't forgetting anything?

- No, here's my purse!

- What about the candle?

- What about it? It's keeping the evil spirits away.

- Under your desk?

- Where else should I place it? That's where they crawl out from. 

- Spirits… crawl out… from under your desk?

- Yes! But they're scared of the light, so I leave the candle there to keep us all safe.


The younger woman took a step back, suddenly uncomfortable with the confrontation. There was clearly more to her next-desk neighbor's mind than anyone would have guessed. She wasn't sure she wanted to continue the discussion.


****

Third prompt: the characters part ways. Start with one of the sentences in your list

- I was waiting for you last evening after work, - she decided to continue - you had gone to the bathroom and I had turned off the lights in the open space, and I saw that faint light under your desk.

- Yes, it was there to keep the spirits away!

- So you want to tell me you were planning on leaving it on the whole night?

- Of course! There's enough light in the day to keep them at bay, but now, in the middle of winter, we need to protect ourselves.

- Ms Bullknapp, I need to ask: how many times have you left a candle burning under your wooden desk when you left work?

- Every winter afternoon since we came back to the office after the renovation. At least I didn't need to burn sage anymore, that stuff is expensive!

- I think it is time to go home, it's getting late, - the younger woman suggested - Go ahead, I'll close things up here.

Ms Bullknapp grabbed her greasy coat and was at the door when she quickly turned around one last time.

- I wouldn't blow out that candle, as I imagine you plan to do. - then she was off.

The younger woman shook her head in disbelief, waited to see the older one approach her almost equally old car in the lot, swearing under her breath. She was going to have a long talk with HR the next morning. She blew the stupid candle off, even licking her fingers to estinguish the wick without smoke.

As she turned off the main switch for the room, and gave a quick, final look around, she froze in horror, as the pale moonshine oozing in from the windows shone silvery on one, then a second, and finally a third figure emerging from under Ms Bullknapp desk and staggering towards her, while the air was filled with the clear aroma of roasted pork with sage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lie

There's a lie in each good bye. We say it without knowing Credit: NASA in good faith we part ways thinking  it's forever, it's over, it's gone. But we are made of stars. Those molecules and atoms, those streams of photons bouncing and protons and the rest will keep on bouncing combining, dividing coalescing and parting. Again. So it's a lie us saying goodbye, no need to cry. The carbon bound in my lower lip will meet the oxygen in that tear you try to hide. A kid will burp the fizzy water and laugh,  widen their eyes. And there we'll be.  Again. The universe has its times.

Special skills

 "Ronnie is a dick. I mean, he's really an ass, I mean a donkey, you know, the poor relative of the noble horse. He's a jackass in more than one way. He told me he wasn't going to carry carrots to the town market, because carrying carrots was cacophonic. As if his braying could be taken as a melodious show of vocal harmony. He also told me Herman the bull was holding a grudge because of the established practices in our farm, and he was plotting something ominous. I laughed at that: Herman liked our time together in the barn. I had proof. So on I went, to grab the bull by the horns, as they say in my language, and see what was the problem. After searching around as if he was a needle and not a fucking huge black bull, there I found him, all alone in his enclosure, ruminating on grass and - so Ronnie swore - grudges. - Hi there. Herr! - Don't. I'm ruminating. - He turned his butt towards me. You see, I've been talking with our animals since I was a child and

The eve of the non-battle

Quiet is the eve in this old town Shadows grow long and echoes far Gone is the frantic hammering of blacksmiths Fletchers do not sharpen arrow tips Quiet is the eve in this old town done are many battles, the fallen burned spells are collected, troops asleep Bright is the full moon on elves and humans Songs are being sung in undertones Still we remember the tension growing Still we remember the cries of war Bright is the full moon and quiet we are But we will rise again, and shine in gold To the new ones and those gone I raise my flagon of tears and I bow